Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Job Searching Through Proverbs 16



Proverbs 16: 1-4

 1 To humans belong the plans of the heart,
   but from the LORD comes the proper answer of the tongue.
 2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
   but motives are weighed by the LORD.
 3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do,
   and he will establish your plans.
 4 The LORD works out everything to its proper end—
   even the wicked for a day of disaster.

So I have been job searching for a few months now looking for where God wants me to be.  So my prayers have been where God wants me to be and what He wants me to do.  During one of my times, sitting by Lake Evelyn down in Texas, I was really praying and truly seeking God's advice.  Not one of the "Your will not mine LORD" prayers, but opening up a discussion with God.  I was a little upset at Him for taking me away from my friends from Texas and putting me into the wilderness of job searching.  While sitting down by the lake looking at God's beautiful creation and talking to Him I had the urge to just open my Bible and read.  Now I rarely open my Bible to a random spot looking for a verse that "fits" my situation, but I did not care at that moment.  I opened up to Proverbs 16 and started reading and saw that it was comforting to the situation I was in and what I was really praying for.  

So the plans of my heart was to work with my friends at the camp because I love those guys!  Then what was my motive for working at the camp...not working there for the groups, but working with my friends.  Thinking about it...if my friends were not down in camp anymore would I still want to work there?  Nope.  Not because it was a bad place, but because I was not growing there anymore.  It was "This is going nowhere" and "what can I do to get by" type attitude towards the end of my career there, which when you have that attitude you need to give it up to God and figure out what's next.  Therefore, thinking through this verse was hard on me because my heart and motives are strong and wanted to stay!  But the LORD knows all and has plans for all of us.  That is why I gave this whole situation to God and committed whatever I do to Him.

The last two verses were pleasing to me because I know God is good and has an amazing plan that will fit me and that I will love.  Since committing my plans to God I have been excited every day to see what God has planned for my life.  There is a question I ask myself every morning to help me continue the commitment..."Will you follow God's plan or the plans of your heart?"

No comments:

Post a Comment