Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Getting Distracted with Martha!

This is not a post about Martha Stewart, but pretty close!  This was a passage of the Bible I read awhile ago, but it didn't really affect me or make me think till recently.  


Luke 10:38-42 (NRSV)
Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.”  But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.” 

First of all, I wonder what Martha Stewart's thoughts would be after reading this passage?  Did she read it as a child and knew that her calling was decorating and cooking for the USA?  On a serious note, this week has been very distracting for me (my car, job searching, packing, physical, car shopping, and just plain life) and I found it really hard to make time for God!  There have been a lot of stuff on Facebook and YouTube (Take a look at this video!...if you want to [warning: might be hard to watch]) this week that really hit it hard for me and made me rethink things that I prioritize.  God is the creator of Time!  We should make time for Him not pencil Him into our schedule or make it a to do list item.  He deserves more from us and really wants to bless and connect with us.  Shoot I want some of that!  That is why I earnestly seek Him and realized that last week and this week I was distracted along with Martha and worried about dumb things!  

This is not me saying that we all should become Hippies get rid of every form of technology and live in a community that does nothing put sits at Jesus' feet...even though that does sound pretty amazing.  Also I am not saying there is a formula to how much time per day we need to spend with God.  For me this verse was more about not worrying about the tasks that we face, but to really trust and listen to God because He knows what is best for us, and will not be taken away from us like some of the things we deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment