Thursday, September 4, 2014

Seeing God through the Gift of a Baseball.

While I was packing I unpacked one of my favorite gifts!  A dirty used baseball signed by Thomas!  Now that might not seem much, but this gift taught me to give with a loving heart...even if it is something you love.  I was in Quito Ecuador doing a mission trip at Alliance Academy International helping out in the chapel all week long.  We taught kids how to pray...more than bedtime prayers and prayers at meal times.  But during this week it was my birthday!  So I didn't tell the kids this, but they found out from the teachers who had been praying for us by name before we came and they had my birthday from my form.  Well the day of my birthday I was given gifts from a lot of kids.  I got drawn pictures, a painting, a lot of hugs and then this baseball.  Thomas gave me the ball and told me it was one of his favorite balls and he wanted me to have it on my birthday.  I felt so blessed and had him sign it.  So I now keep it around...not so much to play with, but to remind me to give from my heart and to be selfless about my giving too.

Acts 20: 32-35
“Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’

It is more blessed to give than receive.  We are told to give to the poor and help the needy.  Thomas helped me by giving me a joyful day and blessing me forever with the thought of giving selflessly.  Just like Paul worked hard to support himself, but also gave and received from many.  He was blessed and loved in that since.  So show how much you love and care for others this week.  Maybe give a little bit of your time to listen or buy someone coffee this week.  Buy the person behind you their meal...etc etc.  Give and you will be blessed!  That is what I was reminded of this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment