Friday, May 29, 2015

Psalms Challenge and how God is teaching

So this summer the youth and I are diving deeper into God's word to learn more about who God is, sins around us and forgiveness, and what God promises/what God does for us.  It is amazing and helpful to read the Bible and then pull these things out of it through prayer and meditation on the word.  So be praying for the youth group and I in that God will move in His Living Word and they will see God in a new and powerful way.  Right now I want to write a little of what I learned so far. 

Psalm 4  
"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer! O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;  the Lord hears when I call to him. Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the LordThere are many who say, “Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”  You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

This passage hit me especially verses 2-3, "O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;  the Lord hears when I call to him." David is distressed by these higher officials/powerful people around him and how they behave.  David wants these men to turn to God and stop sinning so they can have the same joy he finds in God.  Then I looked at verse two and David describes these men.  First of all, these higher officials/powerful people in their actions and words bring shame to David and his role as King.  They are not listening to him, but instead attack what he stands for and his actions.  They drop the critical bomb on David because he is trying to lead them to God.  Second these men love vain words, or delusions as some translations have it, and seek after lies.  These men are following the American dream of riches and glory and will do about anything to get to it.  That is when I had a God given thought about loving delusions and seeking lies.  I have fallen into this trap and I am/have been trying to do better at it.

When I get stressed/mad/end of the long day/sad/happy/etc. what do I tend to do? Follow delusions and seek lies.  I tend to seek out what the world says will bring joy and peace through movies, books, video games, music.  Why do I not seek the one that gives peace, that is my refuge and shield, the one that gives joy...the list could go on.  Why do I want to seek out sin when I want to follow God?  It is because we are sinful and it is an everyday battle to pick up the cross and follow Christ, to seek God, and to be lead by the Holy Spirit.  Instead of these men David writes about that follow delusions (false givers), seek lies, and are lead/influenced by the world...I was stuck on this thought after reading two verses in Psalms!  God is awesome and will guide us if we seek Him.  He will bless us if we ask like David does so many times.

What this means for me?  When I get home I should pray and thank God for what He has done for me.  I should pray about the stress and the troubles and ask God to deliver me from it.  I should take time to sing praises to Him.  When I am sad instead of listening to Taylor Swift or Adele I should seek wisdom and help from God. 

I guess what I learned so far is to seek God not the world...and that it is a hard thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment