Thursday, October 16, 2014

Learning about God through things I have lost

This week has been the week of me losing things...lets just say I have lost 3-4 things this week and it is very frustrating and the week is not over yet :(  and next week I am going to go to a corn maze and get lost there.  I don't know about you but I get upset about not finding something when I have lost it, but if I do find it I tell everybody the great news! 

Then I read Luke 15: 8 - 10

"Or what woman, if she has ten silver coins and loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?  When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin which I had lost!' In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

I remember these stories of the lost sheep, lost coin, and Prodigal Son as a kid and even the Leaving Ninety-Nine Song by Audio Adrenaline.  The point that God cares for the lost and rejoices when one comes to back to Him and repents.  But I never took time to look at the other point from this passage.  I do not know anyone that does not spend time looking for things that got lost.  I always retrace my steps after I freak out.  I will destroy my room just to find the missing item.  In this passage the woman does the same thing...she does everything she can to find the lost coin.

That is God in our life.  God is pulling at hearts to bring them back to Him, but just like socks sometimes people are too stubborn to be found and to give God their hearts.  At Blowout at Oyate Concern this week we read this verse and I think it fits well with the previous passage.

Revelation 3: 20

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me."

God is knocking at our hearts, God is doing everything He can to find the lost, but it is our job to open the door and/or ask God for opportunities to talk to people we know about Him.  Are you being a stubborn lost coin or a person who does not look for lost things.  If so you need to go to God and change your view point.

Also how awesome are parties in Heaven over someone who was lost is now found?  Nothing I can probably imagine :)

P.S. if you find a yellow notebook, a furby, a check, my favorite pen, a hacky sack, Oceans 13, or anything else I lost/lose this week I would like it back :)

1 comment: